Saturday, August 2, 2014

Why teach technology for teaching?

As an information officer at the College of Arts and Sciences, UP Manila, I have seen how difficult it is for teachers (even of this University) to adapt to the changing technological environment. While changing to technological fads is definitely not a good reason to change your teaching style, not taking opportunity of available (and free!) applications may limit your effectiveness as a learning facilitator or make you inefficient in carrying out your various tasks.

In my two years as an information officer at the College of Arts and Sciences, UP Manila, I have seen how difficult it is for teachers (even of this University) to adapt to the changing technological environment. While changing to technological fads is definitely not a good reason to change your teaching style, not taking opportunity of available (and free!) applications may limit your effectiveness as a learning facilitator or make you inefficient in carrying out your various tasks.

I have heard of numerous reasons why many of them do not try to learn, some I have read in letters:

  1. It requires a steep learning curve. I don't have the time.
  2. It's too technical.
  3. I'm not required to use that technology.
  4. Some of those systems are not compatible with mine.
  5. There are some features of my software that are not present in that system.
  6. I don't want to rely on technology.

Of course, the last is probably the worst reason, because one way or another, everyone is using technology. It's just a question of what level or what function.

I have difficulty accepting the reason of not having the time because the same teachers who say this will say in their Twitter (Yes! They use Twitter!) that they are watching boys and are frustrated with them not being looked at.

My experience as a senior trainer in language, communication and customer relations services and my desire to share what I know with my fellow trainers. Yes. This book is years late. I originally had plans of having this book printed in time for the UP Centennial.

I had trainees (Excuse me, my previous company calls them as such. Of course, I call them learners.) who were actually teachers and they are surprised with words that I use when it comes to technology for communication.

My talk with undergraduate students of information technology and business administration degree programs and my conversation with graduate students in my Masters of Management class reveals that money and level of education are not any indicator of knowledge of more appropriate technology for teaching and learning.

The week-long delay of opening of classes brought by Influenza A(H1N1) and the week-long vacation given by Ondoy demanded a way for the learning experience to be sustained.

An accounts issue disconnected the University of the Philippines Manila from the whole world. This was less than two months after the Information System Strategic Planning (ISSP) workshop, and an hour after the CAS Online Journal committee meeting.

Some are issues to teaching administration, some are related to technology. In any case, if the teacher seeks to create a holistic learning experience for the learners, then the learning facilitator has to be equipped with what is available.

So, I hope that this blog will be of use to you. I tried to organize it in what I think is according to levels of critical need. My first posts would be on basic knowledge about technology and critical issues that were previously ignored but now has taken more recognition, such as ethics, security and open source software.

I also took into consideration the fears and reasons of those who do not want to learn technology for teaching. For this  reason, I tried my best to make this as less technical and short as possible. Of course, no one is required to learn any new technology (unless it is for your institution), but the assumption is that new knowledge can make the learning experience more effective and the learner can own the experience.

I hope you find this useful. If you have any feedback on how to improve it, please feel free to email me using the contact information here. I would definitely appreciate it.

Note: I wrote this on my second year as Information Officer of the College of Arts and Sciences, UP Manila. That was in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment